GET THE BEST OUT OF YOUR JEWELLERY
Jewellery Care Guide
We pride ourselves on the workmanship that goes into every piece of custom-made jewellery. Our high standards are upheld by generations of experience, state of the art equipment and modern techniques. Fine jewellery is not indestructible and needs to be treated with the utmost care.
To help you prolong the life of your special pieces, we have created some tips below.
Cleaning Your Jewellery At Home
All jewellery will eventually require cleaning as a build-up of dust, creams and oils will adhere to them, making them appear dull. In most cases, this can easily be removed by using warm soapy water and a soft bristled toothbrush. It’s important to note that this is not a suitable cleaning method for porous gemstones such as pearls and opals. These should be only wiped clean with a soft cloth or be professionally cleaned by a jeweller.
- Use the brush to scrub in and around the gemstones to remove any residue
- Rinse in warm water and dry with a tissue
- Give the metal a polish with a soft cloth to remove any watermarks and your jewellery will be sparkly clean!
Keep It Out of the Gym and Spa
As a general rule, if you’re going to swim, sweat, or steam, don’t bring your jewellery with you. It’s common for people to keep a pair of earrings on in the pool or wear a ring in the shower. But moisture, as well as the pool chlorine, (and even the pH of your sweat) can discolour your jewellery. Additionally, it provides plenty of opportunities for your favorite items to get lost or broken.
- Keep a small cloth jewellery bag to store
- Keep a ring bowl near the bathroom sink to place when washing hands or showering
- Leave your precious pieces at home
Avoid Contact with Lotion or Perfume
Precious metals, coloured gems, and pearls are very sensitive to chemicals. That can include even the products you put on your skin. If you’re applying perfume, make sure to do so before putting on your jewellery rather than spritzing afterwards. The same goes for any sort of makeup setting spray, lotion, or skin refreshing spray.
- Pearls and porous gems are sensitive to chemicals and can cause permanent damage
- Ensure your skin is completely clean before putting jewellery on
- Immediately rinse and wipe with gentle cloth if it was exposed to chemicals
Store Your Jewellery Properly
When you’re not wearing it, keeping your jewellery in careful storage can help prevent damage and discolouration. Storing jewellery together can get them entangled with one another, which risks scratches on soft gems or broken links on necklaces.
- Keep the storage the jewellery came in
- Look for storage that has space for each piece separately
- If storing Long term you should use vacuum storage
Get Professionally Cleaned
Bring your precious pieces in for an annual professional clean, check and polish, to keep your jewellery lasting a lifetime.
- Keep your jewellery looking brand new by investing in an annual professional clean
- Have your settings checked for any lose stones
- Prolong the life of your most cherished piece by having an annual check by your jeweller
Protect Your Jewellery with Insurance
Lastly, your precious jewellery is sentimental and a large investment, we recommend looking into insurance for the unlikely and unfortunate event that they may go missing.
- Peace of mind
- Check what your covered for
- Talk to our staff to help you find the best coverage